Joining the brand new UVULW hockey team has several unique and important advantages versus becoming part of a more established program:
- There are many more positions available for new recruits – players needed at all positions. More established teams are only looking to replace their Senior Class and hence would be looking for a handful of new recruits (perhaps 4-6 players typically).
- You will have the opportunity to play a key on-ice role immediately – rather than “paying your dues on the bench” for a year or two. Since we do not have a full class of returning players, new players will be required to step up to the plate and take on key roles that would normally be reserved for the upperclassmen. If this is a challenge you would enjoy, UVU is the right place for you.
- The team has demonstrated an ability to be competitive immediately, despite the challenges of being a new program – I am very pleased and proud to report our team compiled an 8 Wins / 2 Loss record against intercollegiate competition this past season. That included a 3 Wins / 1 Loss record in the WWCHL tournament.
- The Coaching Staff is experienced and has enjoyed consistent success at the AAA, Junior and Collegiate levels in both Boys and Girls hockey in Canada and the United States – The Head Coach, Stan Weiss, is the father of 4 girls (all of them play hockey) and understands the athletic, social, and psychological differences needed to succeed in both boy’s and girl’s hockey. His forte is DEVELOPMENT. Coach Weiss takes great pride in helping his players grow exponentially as individuals and as teammates.
- UVU has a very liberal “Open Enrollment” academic policy for those students who may not have the credentials to gain college entrance at many/most colleges. It also has very attractive scholarship and Tuition “privileges” for gifted academic students – No matter what your Academic status was in High School, UVU believes you deserve to
prove that you can survive and thrive in a demanding college environment. In its quest to likewise attract the gifted Academic student, it offers an impressive number of scholarships to those with a high standing.
- UVU is located in a very safe and supportive College-town community. It is the largest and fastest growing 4 year University in the state. It currently has 38,000 students with expectations to grow to over 45,000 within the next 5 years. It is located in Orem Utah (population just over 100,000) and is a “sister city” with Provo Utah (home of BYU) which is also just over 100,000 population. Combined Provo/Orem has roughly 250,000 residents with students representing just over 1⁄4 (70,000) of the base. As such, the University environment is a critical energizing force in the community. It is also a very safe community, consistently ranking in the top 25 cities over 100,000 in the United States for “Safest Cities”. The most recent NICHE SAFEST CITIES IN AMERICA ranking for 2018 had PROVO/Orem as the #4 Safest city.